Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Who Took Your Picture At The Josephine Hotel?

Know matter who we are, at some point we've all had our portrait taken.  Most of us remember the photographer on school picture day lapping one hand on top of the other, while being told to sit up straight, smile, and don't move.  The back drops, usually blue, very plain and nothing like the ones they use today.  

Then there were those department store portraits like Sears, J.C.Penny's, K-Mart, and many others.  They had even nicer backdrops and even involve props like, armrests, fuzzy rugs, ladders, steps, chairs, toys and so on.  Oh they were nice, but as a kid I really didn't like getting my picture made. This involved getting all dressed up on a Saturday and going down to Sears, then being told where to sit, tilt my head, move over here, don't squirm, don't close your eyes.  Ugh, it was awful.  The only thing good that would come out of that was a trip to the candy counter, which was on the 2nd floor of the building.  I'm from Birmingham, so our Sears had a candy counter.  They also sold Coke Icees and popcorn too.  This made it worth having to endure the portrait sessions. 

I recently learned that The Josephine Hotel in Union Springs, Alabama was the primary place to get photographs made even as late as the 1980's.  So let me share what I do know.  
 The picture below was actually made at The Josephine on the 2nd floor porch by a photographer from the window on the other side of the railings you see in the bottom left.




I know that even in the early years of The Josephine, it was "the" place to get your picture made.  Who wouldn't want their picture made at the most beautiful hotel in Union Springs?

Portraits like these would have been typical at The Josephine



Wedding portraits 


Sisters or maybe best friends?



 And of course, children




Now, in 1932 a new portrait company began setting up traveling studios. You've heard of them... Olan Mills.  They would usually advertise in the local paper when they would be coming to town and would try to use the same place each time.  In this case, The Josephine became that place in Union Springs.  One or two times a year, they would be allowed to occupy space somewhere in the building.  It may have been in a room possibly.  

This is the camera Olan Mills used when they were getting started.




This is what the street scene would have looked like around that time...

This photo would have been made around the mid 1930's




The owner of The Josephine, has been told countless times by locals, that they remember having their picture made there. I would love to see some of those photos.  I bet Joyce would love to have some to display at The Josephine to remember all those who have had the Josephine be apart of their lives at some point.

Also made in the 30's, perhaps a Mother / daughter photo?



Now as I researched this topic for my blog on the subject of photography around the eras I mentioned before, I ran across some rather strange photos that, well for a lack of better words, baffled me. Most of these photos were made around the same time as I mentioned, 1880's to 1930's.  Since I do have a good sense of humor, I picked out some of my favorites and decided to share them with my readers.  I think you'll get a kick out of them and you'll wonder the same as me.  Why?

Whoever told her that hat look good on her... lied.




This woman is not having a good hair day.  She must be from the hot and humid south.


Was this a simple act of defiance or something more?


What do you expect when you put your arm in a storks mouth?




Is this your alligator little girl?





So that's what it's like to be photobombed by a giant stuffed bear.




Remember when we used to go the skating rink?  This is how it got started.  Get a load of those skates.  Early in-line skates?


See what I mean?  Not just why, but what in the world?


I don't even know where to start.  Which is more creepy?  The spear with the dead fish or the costume?  




Oh dear... do you think maybe they're clowns? In a circus?


And lastly...
Everyone one needs a photo of a rooster wearing overalls while his feet are tied to rollerskates.




As long as there have been cameras, there have been strange photos.  Photographs still manage to capture all the important moments of our lives.  We can relive moments from our past, remember the places we've been.  They even record some of the dumbest times in our lives.  

If you had your picture made at The Josephine as a child or adult, Joyce would love to have a copy just to display in a special section of the building, maybe on a wall, just to pay tribute to all those folks who's lives may have crossed paths with The Josephine Hotel. 


No comments: