Friday, May 2, 2014

Best Selling Author Coming To The Josephine

I just couldn't resist blogging about one of my favorite Authors, Melinda Rainey Thompson.  I remember several years ago when her first book was released, I was browsing through various books at the bookstore when I happened upon SWAG, which means Southern Women Aging Gracefully.  I was sold on the name alone, but when I noticed she was from Alabama, I knew I had to read it. 

When I found out the The Josephine Hotel was going to host a ladies luncheon with Melinda as the speaker... I nearly choked on my pimento and cheese sandwich.  Are you kidding me?  She is coming to Union Springs?  Holy Cow!  This is not just big... it's REALLY BIG!  I can't wait to meet her.  I will fill you in on all those details in just a few minutes.  Let me enlighten you a little more about Melinda Rainey Thompson. 

Melinda is actually a small town girl herself.  She hails from Greenville, Alabama.  Went to on to graduated from Tulane University, became an English Professor at Birmingham-Southern College.  She began writing humorous essays, which led to writing her first book.  Melinda is married, to husband Judge Bill Thompson and resides in Birmingham where they are raising three children.


Melinda Rainey Thompson


 In her first book, Melinda hits on various topics from a Southern Woman's perspective.  (We are a unique breed, you know) She talks about everything from swimsuit shopping, squirrel battles, family reunions, sick children, to cemetery etiquette.  We all can relate to these and more.  Her humor is fresh, relatable, and very funny.  






 This was the sequel to the first book.  Equally as funny, it touches on subjects near and dear to us like, how we become our mother, raising children who play sports, dealing with the unexpected, to the fate of manners.  I really like this one too.




This was the third book which is quite funny in my opinion.
I love you - Now Hush is a fresh take on common arguments that will make you laugh out loud and maybe even instill a bit of insight when it comes to the opposite sex.  Also covered are several not-so-common squabbles, such as proper singing etiquette and hoarding mayonnaise jars.  I highly recommend it.



Melinda's most recent book is entitled, I've Had It Up To Here With Teenagers.  This is the only one left for me to buy and read.  Moms with teenagers will love this one. Here's an excerpt:
"Raising teenagers is not for the meek, the tender-hearted or the easily nauseated.  Its a bit like going on a religious crusade, loaning money to a third world country, or hiking your way out of the rainforest without a machete, a GPS or an antivenin kit -- only harder and riskier."  Whether you've raised yours or are still raising teens, you'll get a kick out of this book.




 Now, about the event...




Southern Ladies Day Out - This is a special day for special ladies. Melinda Rainey Thompson will bring laughter to The Josephine while everyone enjoys a delightful lunch and dessert.  The event will take place on Saturday, May 10th at 11:30 AM and may last about 1-1/2 to 2 hours total.  The tickets are $25.00 per person and will include, the speaker, lunch, dessert, the book signing, and all the shopping your heart desires.  You will have an opportunity to meet Melinda, talk with her, and if you'll remember your camera, get your picture made with her too.  Don't feel like you need to run out and buy her books before you get there.  Melinda will have copies of all her books there and they will be available to purchase. 

This will be a wonderful day trip perfect for Moms, Daughters, Sisters, and your Bestest Friends.  

So how do you get tickets?
Just go to the website - http://artatjosephine.com
Click on the photo of the event and book your tickets.

The seating is limited so I would book tickets soon.  

Trust me... you will have a ball and an unforgettable time.

One more thing... 

I know all of us girls get busy taking care of everyone else in our lives that we often put ourselves on the back burner.  Do something fun for yourself.  You deserve it.  Really. 

I know I will be there and hope to see you too!


No comments: