Sunday, March 30, 2014

Properly Dressed In The 1880's

While I'm still trying to wrap my mind around some of the findings in my research, I thought it would be a great idea to have a visual aid to help my blog readers experience what the times were like in the 1880's.  

History tells us at the time the Josephine Hotel was built in 1880, this decade was part of the "gilded age".  There was a great economic boom and Union Springs was right smack in the middle of it.  The town had everything going for it.  Two major railroads intersecting in town, jobs everywhere and cotton was like gold!  These were opulent times and it seemed everyone had money.  

The fashion is those days were like nothing we've seen since. Meticulous attention the finest details.  The highest quality fabrics, lace, buttons, and adornments were part of everyday wear. Unless you lived and worked on a farm, ladies and gentleman dressed proper to maintain their image in social and business activities.









 Womens shoes, (my favorite), from this era are nothing less than a work of art.  The fabrics used in many of the shoes from that day are that of silk and velvet.  Lots of detail went into the embroidery and stitching of each shoe.  I would have to assume that each shoe was hand crafted and hand embellished one at a time.  I also noticed in all the shoes and small boots that I have seen, the heels are the height and shape of a pump.  1-1/2" approximately.  It just wouldn't have made sense to have anything higher as it would be to difficult to walk in gravel, dirt, and sidewalks.  These examples are just dreamy in my opinion.







Other items you would have needed to complete the look of a properly dress lady would be these:

The tiara didn't always have to be dripping with diamonds and emeralds, but when they did it was for super special occasions. But there were other times where a tiara would be perfect for the event as an adornment in her hair.  Some were beautifully made from metals like brass and base metals.





No many women were without this necessary item in the daytime.  It wasn't for rain... it was for shielding her from the sun.  Hey, it gets hot in all those layers of clothing.




I think I know why women in these days look so annoyed... because the spent sooo much time on their hair.  Yes, these hairdos are quite elaborate and that was for the simple ones.  With all these twists, curls, braids, hair combs, barrettes, and flowers... wow, I think I would be annoyed too.





This is a good example of a popular hair comb adornment.  I don't know about all those dangly things.  That movement would make me feel like there is a bug in my hair.



Another necessity many women carried mostly when traveling was this compact sewing kit purse.  I love this.  With all the little tools she would need to do quick repairs, this little gimzo did the trick.  It would have been common in those days to find oneself in need of repairing a ripped hem, loose button, or even a small tear in clothing.  It was and still is a great item to travel with.


And lastly, for now, that is... the beautiful jewelry.
These are just a few examples I like. 
Simply and elegant everyday pieces like the turquoise with pearl bangle bracelet and the turquoise and diamond are just lovely.



Sapphire and diamond rings were very common engagement rings in those days.  Many still love the sapphire as an engagement ring today.  


Peridot & Pearls... Stunning.


Rubies...


I love this cameo set.  Earrings, bracelet, and brooch.  So feminine and classy. 


Also, a pretty stone that is as popular as ever... Aquamarine.


I will be adding more fashion in upcoming posts, including those amazing hats they wore and purses.  The hats are among my favorite accessories as they are utterly artistic.

Don't forget... 

The Josephine Hotel may not be operating as a hotel at the moment, but it is a great place to go for a day trip. 
There's the Ice Cream Parlor
Gourmet Sandwiches & Salads
Museum
Art Gallery
Ghost Tours
Meetings & Parties Accommodations 
Conference Room
HandCrafted Items 
Walking Tours
Architectural Tours

So much to do and worth the trip.
Josephine would love this place today!

Check out the website at:
www.artatjosephine.com 

or 

Follow them on Facebook at:
Josephine Art Center


No comments: