Wednesday, March 26, 2014

A Thing of Beauty - The Josephine Hotel

As one who has had the privilege of touring most of the Josephine Hotel building as it stands today, I wanted to close my eyes at every turn to imagine this place in the beginning.  I could see the flicks of cream colored paint that have fallen to the floor at the base of a beautiful staircase on the second floor.  The original dark walnut stain peeking through as if to say, "look at me, I'm still here."  Plaster and peeling paint that form small piles here and there because of past neglect reveal a beautiful and haunting red color on the walls.  Yes, it was the original paint.  It's under layers of other attempts to renovate her.  But it almost seems like the building is telling you, "I here, look at me, I used to be beautiful.", and that is how it draws you in.  I believe even in its current condition, it's still lovely.  

Joyce Perrin, the owner has great plans for this place. I am happy to say, I am so excited to be part of the on-going resurrection of the great Josephine Hotel.  Joyce, sent me several photos, clippings and a whole host of information to use in this blog, in addition to what I will contribute from my own research.  

Below, is one of the many announcements of the new hotel that would soon be opening in the fall of 1880.

The Josephine was called a "thing of beauty", and was regarded as one of the "lions" of Union Springs.  At the time it was considered to be one of the nicest hotels in the entire State of Alabama.




Compared to old B & B's, renovated hotels, and various places I've stayed in my lifetime of travels, I was quite surprised to find these rooms as large as they are.  They are rather spacious and some have adjoining rooms with some shared bathrooms.  Yes, bathrooms.  I didn't expect to see bathrooms.  Now, I have been told originally there may have only been one or two bathrooms on each floor, which meant bathrooms were a "shared" experience.  More were later added, but there are still only maybe 6 or so to each floor.  

In the early days of this marvel on Prairie Street, the building had a small garden in front and a dinner bell.  The food served at the hotel was the best you could find anywhere.  It amazed me when I discovered that you could go in and order a meal, and I mean a nice meal, for the whopping sum of just 35 cents. 

Here is another couple of photos of the hotel: Sorry, I wish this was better.  This is the only one of have where you can see the word "HOTEL" across the top of the building.


Check out that horse and buggy parked out front, and that very large Water Oak right in front of the hotel.  All of Prairie Street used to be lined with those huge Water Oaks.  They would have not only been beautiful to the scenery but they provided much needed shade from the hot setting sun each afternoon.  As a former business owner on that side of the street, I wish I had one of those trees in front of my store.  It got awfully hot in there everyday.  Sadly, all of those trees were cut down a long time ago.

Now in this photo below you see the beautiful wood facade on the front of the building.  The porch was a popular place for guests to sit and people-watch, read, or talk.  If you'll notice on the 2nd floor down on the end you will see a swing. 

The guy closest to the tree and leaning against the post is just in front of the original stairway to the lobby and registration on the second floor.  The bottom floor had three separate businesses occupying them.  The one at far left was a hardware store, the one on the far right was some type of merchant, possibly clothing or fabric.  Those are bonnets hanging on a line and for sale.  The one in the center I am not sure of. 



In the photo below, you will find a group that have turned their chairs and rockers around on the balcony and have the town of Union Springs in the background.  I would love to know who these folks were and I am unsure as to when this photo was made.  But it's interesting to say the least. 



No comments: