Monday, March 24, 2014

Oh, that Josephine - Introduction

First, let me introduce myself.  My name is Stephanie Wingard.  I am a friend and business associate of the owners of the The Josephine Hotel in Union Springs, Alabama.  Owners, Allen and Joyce Perrin purchased the building about 12 years ago.  This historic building now operates as the Josephine 1880's Complex.  The business they run is an old fashion soda shoppe, ice cream parlor and cafe with what they refer to as the "no fry zone".  The cafe features wonderfully made gourmet sandwiches and salads that are healthy and delicious and never fried.  

The building also houses a museum of local history, old photos, artifacts, and books from local authors and historians.  In addition, there is an art gallery of local artists' work and paintings as well as local crafts for sale.  

The "Josephine Hotel" was built in 1880 by Dr. Fleming who named it for his wife.  The hotel was known as one of the nicest in the State of Alabama at the time it was built.  It has housed several businesses over the years on its main floor, which included the hotel lobby, a restaurant, Jinks Saloon, and several Mercantile shops.  At the time it was built there were 24 rooms total, located on the 2nd and 3rd floors which were still in use until the 1970's.  

Today, the plans for the hotel are to restore the 2nd and 3rd floors.  The plans for the 2nd floor is to have Art Incubators to occupy the rooms.  This would be for artists of any mediums, like potters, painters, and sculptors.  Even writers would find inspiration occupying the historic spaces.  The 3rd would be returned to hotel rooms eventually. 

Plans are also in the works to restore the facade of the building.  The original building had red brick and beautiful wood railings and a porch on the 2nd floor.  

Here's how it looked in the 1880's:


At the time it was considered a marvel and the crown jewel of Union Springs. 

Now, here's how it looks today:



You may notice the address at the bottom of the picture.  Yes, the Ghost Hunters have been here, and yes there are ghost in the building.  That is a fact.  It is well documented.  The Alabama Paranormal Research Team holds ghost hunts here.  It's pretty cool!  Go to their site and sign up for the next hunt.  But I will get more into the ghost stuff later.  For now, I just want to lay down the foundation and purpose for this blog. 

I chose to write this blog because I am a huge history buff and the stories surrounding the building of this hotel and it long history in this town fascinates me.   The town of Union Springs is filled with so much history and with the amazing architecture of many of it's buildings and churches, but also the huge and breath taking antebellum homes will leaving you hungry for information about them.  

Union Springs is the town chosen for its county seat.  I've lived in Bullock county for a little more than 21 years.  I even owned an antique business just one block north of this old hotel.  I've drove past the building more times than I can count and always hoped one day I would get to see the inside.  Then it happened.  One day about a month ago, (from the date of this blog entry), I was invited to participate in an Art Show at the the Josephine Art Center.  From that day, the owners and myself have become friends and I now have my art own display, as well as the jewelry I design.  I have had the rare privilege of ascending that grand staircase that leads to the 2nd floor.  It was very exciting.  While, it was subject to elements for years with no decent roof to speak of.  The new owners have since replace the roof in order to stop any further damage. 

In my future posts, what I hope to accomplish is a look back at the making of this magnificent hotel.  The culture of the day.  When it was built, what was going on in those days they had the hotel?   What was the hotel like?  What kind of parties did they have?  Also I hope to explore a little more about the town and it's history too and the future of the Josephine today.  I'd like to take everyone on the journey of breathing new life into the Josephine.  Will she make a come back?  What will it take to get her there? 

Union Springs is an amazing place.  In it's hay days it was a mecca for culture, opulence, wealth, and a booming economy.   What happened?  I will explore just that.  There is so much to learn and so much to share here.

I hope you will enjoy all I have to bring you.  It will be a fun journey and we all will learn a lot in the process.  

Stephanie Wingard



No comments: