Sunday, August 21, 2016

Robert & Josephine's daughter Lola *An Update w/Photos

     I am so excited that I finally have some photographs of Lola J. Fleming. Thanks to Lola's Great Granddaughter, Marcia Henshaw. It was a few weeks back that I got a lead one day while searching on Ancestry.com.  I found a link to a few photos that I couldn't see but would need permission to have access. I sent a message to the owner of this profile and before too long I received a message back. Since that time we've sent several emails back and forth. Marcia was so gracious and kind to not only send me some fantastic photos, but sent along some very useful family history. I guess now that I have gushed over them long enough, it's time to share them with my readers. 

     In case you've forgotten who Lola is or if this is your first time viewing my blog, I'll give you a quick refresher. You can also go back to the original blog about Lola, entitled "What ever happened to Lola?"

     Lola Josephine Fleming is the only child to Robert and Josephine Fleming. Dr. Robert Fleming, known for having built The Josephine Hotel and named it in honor of and as a tribute to his virtuous and accomplished wife. The Josephine Hotel is located in on Prairie Street in downtown Union Springs, Alabama. It was erected in 1880 and opened in October of that same year. It was a beautiful hotel and one of the finest in Alabama. The food served in its dining room provided the best meal you could get in the area. People came from all around to eat there. The hotel was not run by the Fleming's, but instead was managed by a Mr. T. W. Brown. He was regarded as one of the best hotel managers in the country. Dr. Fleming wanted nothing but the best and he got it. 

     The hotel continued to operate for nearly 11 years under the ownership of Dr. Fleming. At some point Dr. Fleming became ill and died on September 27, 1891. For the next 11 months his grieving widow, Josephine, could not bare to be without her beloved husband. She too passed away on August 20, 1892.

     The responsibility of the Josephine Hotel would now fall upon Robert and Josephine's 29 year old daughter, Lola. She was set to marry James D. Williford later that year. But first she would have to bury her Mother and figure out what next to do. 

     Lola turned 30 years old on December 6th, just before her marriage to James on December 15th 1892.  I can't imagine it was a large wedding at all. With her Father passing away just four months earlier, her mother's passing, probably put a damper on any formal wedding. Lola would have opted for a justice of the peace type wedding. 

Below here's your first look at Lola:




Below is James David Williford, Lola's husband.



     After Lola and James were married, at some point they move to Tuscaloosa, Alabama. James was a druggist. I believe we call them Pharmacists today. It seems that during this time Lola put The Josephine Hotel up for sale sometime during the following year. Lola and James began starting a family and settled into the community where they lived in Tuscaloosa. Before long, Lola gave birth to her first child, whom she named after her Father.  Robert Fleming Williford born in 1894. 

     Then in January, 1895 the Josephine Hotel was sold to a person whose name I can't read on the promissory note. The fancy writing back in those days is sometimes a little hard to read. Both James and Lola would have had to come back to Union Springs to take care of this business. The promissory note states that the person buying the building will be making payments of $389.00 per month to her for a period of time that I cannot read. It includes the Hotel and the three spaces on the ground floor which had three different businesses inside. Both James and Lola sign this document.

Below is the Promissory note. Sorry for the quality, they are scans of copies and quality gets lost in the process.


 

     Later in the year of 1895, after the business of the Hotel is complete, Lola gives birth to a second child, James David Williford Jr., born on Nov. 1st, 1896 and named after his Father. 

     Here's a look at this beautiful family portrait of the Williford family. From left to right: James Williford, , Robert, the baby is James David Jr. and then Lola.


     It was in 1897 when James and Lola had a third child, a girl, whom they named Lola. Sorry, I don't have a photograph of little Lola. Though a photo may turn up one of these days. 

      In December of 1899, tragedy struck the Williford family. James, Lola's husband, suddenly passed away. He was 46 years old when he left behind his beloved Lola, who at 37 was now a widow with three small children under the age of 6.  I believe Lola returned with her children to Union Springs for a time. I don't know for how long, but I suppose it was to be nearer to some of her family. Then tragedy struck again and Lola's daughter, six year old Lola died on the 6th of November 1902. This was an unimaginable loss to Lola as it would be expected when a woman loses a child. Lola never remarried.

Below: I am told this school was in Union Springs. Both of Lola's boys Robert and James attended here. They are in this photo somewhere. 



Below: Here is another of both boys in front of a house somewhere in Union Springs. The oldest, Robert is on the right. He's wearing a baseball glove.  On the left is James David.  He is holding a cat.
I would only be speculating when I say, this could have been the home of Robert and Josephine Fleming, when they were alive.  I say that because I know that the home and the property were not sold until 1912.  So this could be Lola's childhood home. I also know that where the house is believed to have been located was where the Telephone Company is now, which sits across from the Presbyterian Church, of which Robert, Josephine, and Lola attended. Also many of the Cowans' attended the same church.


          After the house was sold, Lola and her boys moved to Akron, Ohio. I believe either before moving to Ohio, I learned that Robert did attend Alabama Polytechnical Institute for about 2 years but dropped out. Robert did serve in WWI. James David also served in military in WWI also. Prior to serving, James David was working for The Goodyear Tire plant.  His draft registration says that he was 20 years old and single.  It also said that he has a dependent and lists his Mother, Lola as his dependent. It's dated May 31st, 1917.

Below: Registration for the draft card for James David Williford.


Below: James David Williford, (Far Left), at the Georgia Military Institute. I am guessing this is where some basic training took place. 

Here's another nice portrait of Lola in later years. 



And here's one more photograph of Lola J. Fleming Williford in her later years.


Lola's oldest Son, Robert married a lovely lady named Nellie Freck. She was born in England. James, her other son married a lady by the name of Minnie Arvella, nicknamed, Abba. Lola lived with James and Minnie until her death in 1933.  She was 71 at the time of her passing. 

Below: A photograph of James and Minnie.



You know, we can sit back and read about someone's life and say, "Awwwhh, that is so sad." At first glance we see on the surface that Lola had profound loss in her life and we think, "Gosh, I don't think I could go on living." While that is true for some, I think there are people who possess tremendous inner strength and courage that while they do hurt, their pain is mitigated by turning to their faith. Lola must have had this kind of faith to help her go on and have a life that she could bare and still find some joy and happiness. She had two wonderful boys, whom she adored and they must have thought the world of her.  It's nice to see that they cared for her to the end. Very nice. We can all take a lesson from Lola's courage and strength. We can let life's trials set us back or we can look to our faith for the will to go on and have a great life in spite of our pain and set backs. Good for you Lola, good for you. 

I'd like to say thank you to Marcia Henshaw for these wonderful photos and allowing me to write and share a little piece of her Great Grandmothers life with all of my readers.  

 **The years listed for births and deaths may not exactly match those of others who have also done research. I get my dates from the Census, and other databases that I use. My apologies if they may not reflect the same. I try so hard to see to it that my information is as accurate as possible. I also would never purposely disrespect or question the integrity of anyone's research. My intentions are genuine and I consider it a privilege to research this fine family and it is my sincerest hope that the information presented in my blog will reflect their stories through my hard work and joy that goes into each post and that every word is as truthful as I know it to be. **

Be sure to check back and see the latest right here on this blog...
Oh, that Josephine

No comments: