Tuesday, June 21, 2016

What Ever Happened To Lola?

     Did you know that Dr. Robert Fleming and his wife, Josephine had a daughter?  That's right, they only had one child and her name was Lola Josephine Fleming.  Born December 6th, 1862.  She was actually born in Eufaula, Alabama.  

She may have been born right inside the Cowan family home and delivered by a mid-wife, which was very common in those days. She was not delivered by her father, Dr. Robert Fleming as he had suffered a terrible fall from the balcony that left him paralyzed for life.  

After Robert's recovery and rehabilitation he moved his family to Union Springs, Alabama, when he had began his new career in county government as a Register in Chancery.  Today we call that position a County Clerk.  Dr. Fleming may have still practiced medicine but it wouldn't have been his primary profession.  He was a business man, and of course, we know he built the magnificent, Josephine Hotel. 

Lola was also raised with her Mother's youngest sister, Willie. This came to pass when Josephine's Mother became to ill and could not care for herself and her youngest child, Dr. Fleming had them move in with them so that Josephine could care for her ailing Mother, Anna.  When Anna passed away in 1869, her youngest daughter, Willie was just 12 years old.  This is why Josephine and Robert would then raise Willie as their own, along with Lola who was just 5 years younger.

I later found an 1880 Census report that confirms my findings.  It shows both Robert and Josephine in the home as well as daughter, Lola, who is at the time of the gathering of information, just 17 years old.  It lists her as a student. Willie Cowan is also listed as living in the same home.  She is 22 years old.  It's is believe she may have attended college.  But in other instances I have found that she lived in the Fleming home until she was married to Robert C. Jelks. I have much to tell about Willie and her husband Robert.  I will save that for another post.  

1880 is also the year of opening The Josephine Hotel in Union Spring, Alabama.

In September 1891, Lola's Father, Dr. Robert Fleming died.  I can't find how or what he died of but I am still on the hunt. Lola was still living at home at age 28.  I can only guess that Lola's only job for the coming months was to console her grieving Mother.  

Just 11 months after losing her Father, Lola's Mother now passes away in August, 1892.  Again, I do not have a cause of death and am still looking for that information. After Lola has buried both her Father and Mother, Lola marries James David Williford just 4 months later.  The date of their marriage was December 15th, 1892. James Williford was 9 years older than her.  He was 39. She turned 30 just before her wedding. 

My sources tell me that James had never been married before nor did he have any previous children. I also learned that he was an Attorney and that he was living in Union Springs at the time of their marriage.  I don't know if he was practicing law there or somewhere else outside of Union Springs. I do know that after they married they left Union Springs.  At first, it looks like they went to Tuscaloosa, Alabama, but that was for a short time. 

Lola and James had three children together:

Robert F. Williford - Born 1894  (Named after Lola's Father)
James D. Williford Jr. - Born 1895 (Named after Lola's Husband)
Lola Williford - Born 1897 (Named after herself)

I have a copy of a document that is a promissory note that shows a time when James and Lola returned to Union Springs to sign papers selling some property along with the Josephine Hotel building in 1894.  (See document below)







They later moved to Akron, Ohio.  He set up his law practice there and that is when sadly, in 1899, Lola's husband suddenly passed away at the age of 46.  All three of her children were ages 6 and under. 

I have a copy of another document which shows that Lola once again returned to Union Springs, perhaps one final time in 1912. The document refers to Lola J. Williford as a widow.  The document, while hard to understand, is a legal document that uses land survey markers in describing the property that is being sold. It's difficult to tell if it is just land, a home, or both.  She is selling to a Mr. J. T. Shirley for the sum of $2000.00. 
(See document below)





Lola returns to Akron, Ohio where she continued to raise her children.  I have no evidence that she ever married again as everything I came across showed that she was a widow and remain that way until her death in 1933.  She was 71 when she died. 

I wish there had been a happier ending for Lola.  I'm sure she found joy in raising her children and perhaps surrounded by grandchildren.  I am still searching for info on her and her family.  I will post as soon as I know. 

2 comments:

KC said...

Where did they live in Union Springs?

Janice said...

Rebecca, this is so interesting. I'm Marcia's sister. I live in MI