Friday, May 23, 2014

Inside The Josephine Hotel ~ Part 1 of 7

Sorry it's been so long since my last post.  But it's been quite busy around the Josephine lately.  I've been helping out a lot with events and various other duties.  I have also been learning much more about the Josephine and I've got lots more photographs of the inside of the building.  A whole lot!  In fact I have so much to tell that I am simply going to have to break this down into parts.  

The Josephine Hotel, the building itself, has had more owners in her 134 year history and more businesses in it than I can begin to count. But it is important to remember a couple of things before you read any further:

1. The Josephine was built specifically as a hotel to occupy the 2nd and 3rd floors. The ground floor would be for three individual businesses to rent space in the three commercial spaces. Countless businesses have occupied those spaces over the years.  But more importantly they have been occupied by some form of business for all 134 years of the building's existence.  Few buildings have that to boast about.  The hotel part of the building continued to be operated as a hotel from 1880 to about 1985.  I don't know of many hotels around the country that have operated for 105 years.  Maybe a few around the country.  Overseas... yes.  But we're talking Union Springs, Alabama, not New York, San Francisco, or Boston. 

2. The Josephine has a future.  You better believe that.  She's not yet ready to be hotel again but she's on her way.  




In this 7 part blog, I will take you on a tour throughout the building. and show you things NO ONE has ever seen before.  I was once again granted access to the entire building. I saw things this time I hadn't seen previously and I can't wait to share it with all my readers. 

Not only will you see how it is now, but I am going to divulge a little privileged information about some of the upcoming plans for many of the spaces.  You're really going to like this, so sit back and relax and join me for an inside tour of the Josephine.

Let's begin with the access staircase.  This is located on the first floor on the retail side of the Josephine Art Center. There are a couple of double doors there, but these are usually locked and closed off to the public.


Below this is the view looking down the access staircase.


Once you arrive on the second floor, you see the long and very wide hall where all the rooms are. At the end you can see the railing for the back staircase which used to lead to the dining room on the first floor.  The plan here for the hall is to paint murals on both sides. 


Then if you look left from the access staircase you would see the grand staircase.  As promised in my previous blog about the stair case I took a lot of extra pictures of it.  


The view from the top.


Below: 
The view from halfway up the staircase.  A couple of things to note here.  At the top of the photo... see that bannister there? That is the access staircase from the first floor.  This is pretty close to where the original stairway that came in directly from the street when the hotel was built. That small squared off area at the bottom just to the right of the newel post is where the registration desk was. 


Another view below.  The plans are to renovate the staircase and make it available for weddings and wedding photos as it was also used for many years ago.  





Not only is this staircase beautiful in everyway, but it is amazing to me that it is absolutely solid.  Not as much as a squeaky step!  Usually stairs this old would creak and crackle, but not here. Solid. 





Another thing that amazes me is the spindles.  Not a one is missing.  They are in the most incredible condition.  Almost like time stood still.



And of course that spectacular newel post.  The picture really cannot capture this size craftsmanship of this amazing piece.  I'm about 5'1 in height and when I stand next to it I would say it's almost to my shoulders. Next time I'm up there I'm taking a tape measure. It's really big. 



Here you can see that beautiful rich dark walnut wood beneath the old ivory paint. It is truly a remarkable piece.


Moving on... just one of many rooms.  Most had a fireplace, but not all.  All of the rooms do have a radiator.  The first door is a closet and the second there leads to a shared bathroom. Most of the rooms all have a sink and some still have the light and the medicine cabinet like in this room. 



Below you see a little more detail in the fireplace and radiator.


Sink and medicine cabinet 



Check out the slat wood wall.



Below is a room at the front of the building.  It's on the northside corner and faces Prairie Street. This room and the adjoining room just behind me will soon be Joyce's room, (the owner).  It will be used like I mentioned in a previous post, as a ART Incubator.  A place to create.  Painting, pottery, sculpting, writing, photography, or whatever you like.   The window will be replaced by late next week.  They are replacing ALL of the front windows to the building.



This room is at the south side corner of the front.  The window was just replaced.  This will soon be my room.  I am so excited to be part of this.  Here I will paint, as I am an artist, jewelry designer, and writer.  I believe in this place I will be inspired.  Several more rooms will be renovated in the VERY near future to local artists of all types who can rent a room of their own at a low nominal fee.  They can be inspired to create, make, and then sell their art downstairs.  It's a wonderful concept for anyone who just wants a inspirational place of their own to create and sell all in the same building.  It's already being done all over the country. 




There is just a magical feeling you'd get when you have a peaceful workplace.  Away from distractions, television, computers, cell phones, work, and kids.  Just you and your creative juices flowing.  This will be a great place for all artist to get together and share ideas, get advice, inspire, and encourage each other.  This IS that place.  If this is something you've always thought you'd like to do, now it the time to be thinking a little more about checking this one off the bucket list.  I'm doing it.  It's so peaceful up there.  Contact Joyce at the Josephine to inquire about it.  There will only be a limited number of spaces.   So call her and get your name on the list. 334-703-0098

There's still a lot more to come in Part 2 of 7
Inside The Josephine

Thank you for stopping by my blog.  If you have any comments I'd love to hear your thoughts and suggestions. 




No comments: